09 May 2006

Alea iacta est.

Last week, confronted by the necessity to replace our aged Windows-based home computer, I decided to take the plunge and abandon Windows for Mac OS X. The process thus far has not been without its hiccups, however. When I hit the "purchase" button at the Apple website, Windows immediately locked-up and I had to restart; I'm not sure whether Microsoft intended this as a punishment for my attempt to buy a Mac or as one last chance for me to reconsider my rash course of action. All that it was missing was a synthesized HAL-like voice telling me, "Look, Colin, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission, and I want to help you."

No comments: