12 January 2007

TGIS: Thank God It's Schadenfreude! (97)

This week's joy in the misfortune of others comes courtesy of the QuizLaw blog (from Monday, January 8; link good at time of posting):
Last Thursday, some Boston cops pulled over a car being driven by 25-year old Roger DePina. DePina initially caught the cops’ eye, according to the police blotter, because he and his passenger “were yelling and gesturing at [the] officers as they passed and continued driving while committing several violations.” The cops chased DePina, who initially refused to pull over. However, he finally stopped on the middle of an entrance ramp to one of the local highways. When the cops asked DePina for his license and registration, he pulled out this great line:

“You have no…right to pull us over, regular police can’t stop us on the highway, I know my rights, I’m in Harvard Law School!

Needless to say, DePina doesn’t exactly know his rights so well, as the cops can absolutely pull him over.

. . . .

So DePina was arrested and has been charged with refusal to stop for police and reckless operation of a motor vehicle.

[Previous TGIS]

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

As I mentioned on my blog, it is National Delurking Week. I simply wanted to take this opportunity to make sure you know that I read and very much appreciate your blog. Thanks, Colin.