08 October 2007

This could come back to burn me.

Last Friday was fire safety day at my daughter's elementary school. At a party over the weekend, she and a playmate thought they'd act out a few lessons learned. They did a few iterations of "stop, drop, and roll" and then dashed out of their playhouse with a play telephone.
"Ring, ring," they yelled, looking at me.

"Hello?"

"9-1-1! We need help!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. This is 9-1-2.

[Silence]

"Did you need something?"

"Our house is on fire."

"Ah. Well, I can't help you there. Maybe you should call 9-1-1. Do you know what their number is?"
I suppose a good father would have passed-up the opportunity to tease small children and would have instead reinforced the valuable lessons taught by our local firemen. It's truly unfortunate that there were no good fathers nearby at the time.

No comments: