26 June 2008

A helpful reminder from the Supreme Court that the amendments in the Bill of Rights are not listed in order of importance.

Our second amendment rights aren't of secondary importance after all, according to the newly-published decision in Heller. There's already a tremendous amount of worthwhile commentary, both pro and con, on the decision in the legal blogosphere (see here, here, here, and here, just for starters); don't worry, though -- you'll find no such worthwhile commentary here.

Irreverent as always, Dustin Rowles of the QuizLaw blog has, cold, dead hands down, both the best headline announcing the decision and the most succinct description of its key holding:

Supreme Court Allows Heston to Keep Handgun in Cold, Dead Hands


My main concern now is whether this means that my wife will let me own guns again. When she insisted that I get rid of them before, I know she was really just struggling with the then-existing ambiguity in Second Amendment jurisprudence. Now that Heller has established that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right rather than a collective one, I'm sure she'll have no objections. I wouldn't be half surprised to find a brand-new Glock tied with a big red bow waiting for me when I get home tonight.

No comments: