12 September 2008

TGIS: Thank God It's Schadenfreude! (184)

This week's joy in the misfortune of others comes courtesy of The Beautiful Game (from Tuesday, September 9; link good at time of posting):
Stupid injuries are the best. Gotta love rich athletes absolutely humiliating themselves.

Enter Fabian Espindola.

He's a pretty good soccer player for Real Salt Lake in Major League Soccer.

In a game against Los Angeles Beckhams Galaxy, Espindola scored an apparent 6th-minute goal. So excited he attempts one of his customary back-flips, only to break his leg on the landing.

Ouch.
"I'm embarrassed, "said Espindola, who celebrated goals with a flip since his days as a youth player in Argentina. "I'm never going to do that again. I don't know what happened. I've done it a million times. If I would have known I never would have done it."

Even worse, his goal was disallowed for offsides.

[Previous TGIS]

No comments: